I don’t remember when or where I got this blue/grey hydrangea print in stretch cotton, but when I rediscovered it in my stash I just had to make something with it. I decided on a summer wrap dress.
Wrap dresses can be tricky. The front often gapes, even when the bust fits nicely, and the front opening can be quite low. I usually have to do FBAs. But oddly, the FBA on this dress gave me almost too much room in front. Another issue is that wrap dresses tend to fit figures with a narrow waist much better than figures like mine, with a straighter line, but that isn’t a problem with this dress.
The pattern was not hard to assemble. I extended the band from the bodice down through the skirt.
Pattern Description: Wrap dress
Pattern Sizing: Misses
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it does.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, the instructions were clear. Notches lined up and pieces fit together
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Fabric Used: Stretch cotton in a wonderful blue floral print
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I finished the skirt panels with a band like the neck and bodice
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?Yes, I recommend this dress, it’s an ideal basic wrap dress pattern.
This pattern is intended to be a woven or firm knit zip up the back top. I changed it into a zip up the front activewear jacket.
Butterick 6134 in metallic activewear from Fabric Mart
This pattern had the design lines I was looking for in a jacket; raglan sleeves, princess seaming and a funnel neck.
My starting point was view D, because that view had long sleeves, a front seam and an open neck. I omitted the little vents at the bottom and moved the zipper from back to front.
I chose a bright turquoise and metallic silver active wear print from Fabric Mart. The fabric doesn’t like heat, making it difficult to press. I didn’t get a photo of the sticky tag, or for that matter, any photos of this jacket as a work in progress.
I chose a white zipper with silver metal teeth and a decorative pull, and inserted it exposed. The major assembly seams, princess, side, underarm and raglan shoulder, were sewn directly on the serger. The other seams were first sewn with a zigzag stitch. Then the jacket was tried on and any needed adjustments were made before the seams were “finalized” with the serger. I used a sliver metallic thread and a decorative stitch for topstitching around the neck, along each side of the zipper and around the hem.
The pattern itself is pretty easy. The only potentially tricky part is around the funnel neck. I’d make it again, as a kit top or jacket. I’m sure this pattern would look lovely in a woven fabric, but I suggest testing for fit before cutting your fabric.