Double takes, that is, making two of the same garment at once, can be easier or harder. On this double make, one project was super easy the other painfully difficult!
To be fair, I think the biggest problem was me. I was soo anxious to dive into this wonderful, textured red knit from Fabric Mart that I started cutting the same day I pulled it out of the box. I think the knit was stretched in some odd way, and if I had waited to let the fibers relax back into shape, things would have gone smoothly.
So, I needed a quick, comfortable dress for the theater, and also wanted a transitional tunic top. Here in Cleveland we joke about having three seasons: Winter, Mud, and Road Construction. And it’s true, the closer you are to the shore, particularly on the eastern side of Lake Erie, the icy cold lake waters keep winter lingering until the rest of Ohio has warmed up. Days often start chilly, get quite warm, then chilly close to sundown. I’m not the worlds biggest polyester fan, but poly works well for this kind of weather. I like tunics. I like this pattern. And I love love love the red knit.
For the dress I used some border print ity knit from my stash. The knit was really soft and limp, so I did exactly what I did the first time I made this dress – I lined it with activewear knit from my stash. The result is a thicker hand and the dress has a more substantial feel to it.
Everything went smoothly on the dress, in part, because ity knits are so drippy and stretchy in both directions. This allowed me to cut the pieces with the grainline running crosswise, and the floral border running along the hem of the dress.
As I’ve already said, the tunic length version didn’t go so smoothly. I had to rip and resew the shoulder seam several times. It still sits a bit funny on my shoulders.
I’m really glad I took the time to baste the seams on my sewing machine with a narrow zig zag stitch before serging them. I despise ripping out serged seams!
I may not be thrilled with the way this make fits, but I got several compliments when I wore it. So. I’m Happy!
April was a busy busy month for me. I got the necessary sewing done, but I didn’t do very well at documenting my process, just the finished items on Dolly.
Notice the wrinkles at the shoulder on the red tunic.